Re: [UTR#51-8] 1.4.3 Emoji Variation Sequences: Female/Venus and Male/Mars Signs

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper_at_crissov.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 09:38:24 +0200

Garth Wallace <gwalla_at_gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper_at_crissov.de> wrote:
>> I just learned that recent Samsung phones already contain emoji representations for many of these symbols.
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/Emojipedia/status/769125703866585088>
>
> Samsung's emoji support is idiosyncratic, to say the least.

That may be so, but it is an example of a major vendor extending emoji rendering beyond code points which have Emoji=Yes.

> It's especially baffling because the "emoji" versions are still black and white, just with a gradient applied to make them look shiny.

It’s not perfect, for sure, but they probably work better with other emojis this way.

> WHITE CIRCLE WITH TWO DOTS is emoji on Samsung…why?

Electric socket or Go piece?

That’s why there are (or shall be) VS15/16 and higher-level controls like the ones proposed for CSS <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/352>.