Re: I'm excited about the proposal to add a brontosaurus emoji codepoint

From: Garth Wallace <gwalla_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:24:28 -0700

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Leonardo Boiko <leoboiko_at_namakajiri.net>
wrote:

> We obviously need an emoji for every species name listed within The
> Official Registry of Zoological Nomenclature.
>
> I propose a new set of Basic Latin characters, the Zoological Nomenclature
> Indicator Symbols, to be used for spelling scientific names, which are then
> rendered as cutesy colorful icons used as mood indicators. A Zoological
> Nomenclature Indicator Symbol Space must be included to separate name
> components; sequences including one such separator are assumed to be
> binomens, and two, trinomens. For example, a cat emoji can be encoded with
> the Zoological Nomenclature Indicator Symbols corresponding to
> [FELIS␣CATUS] or, following modern practice, [FELIS␣SILVESTRIS␣CATUS]
> (biological homonyms are to be treated as alternative encodings of the same
> abstract emoji).

I disagree, the set of dinosaur emoji needed for communication is very
limited, and consists of:

TYRANNOSAURUS REX
TYRANNOSAURUS REX FACE
TYRANNOSAURUS REX WITH LEFT FOOT RAISED
DROMICEIOMIMUS
TYRANNOSAURUS REX WITH RIGHT FOOT RAISED
UTAHRAPTOR WITH LEFT FOOT RAISED
TYRANNOSAURUS REX WITH HEAD TURNED
UTAHRAPTOR WITH FEET PLANTED
TYRANNOSAURUS REX SHOUTING

This set is sufficient to communicate any message one would wish, cf.
qwantz.com