Re: Comment in a leading German newspaper regarding the way UTC and Apple handle Emoji as an attack on Free Speech

From: Doug Ewell <>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:25:05 -0700

> ("The Unicode Consortium appears like a reissue of Orwell's Ministry
> of Truth, which replaced the English language by a new one, sweeped
> clean from harmful terms, and which removed "unorthodox" connotations
> from the rest of the words.")

So I took another look and saw that:

(1) U+1F946 RIFLE has the following cross-reference in NamesList.txt:

= marksmanship, shooting, hunting

which does not include any mention of squirt guns or water pistols, or
generally bowdlerizing the image or changing the intent of this code

(2) Section 22.9 "Miscellaneous Symbols" in TUS 9.0 does not make any
mention of modifying the RIFLE glyph, or symbol glyphs in general, so as
to alter their meaning;

(3) the code chart at
clearly shows a rifle, and not any other type of gun or non-gun.

I can imagine people with time on their hands criticizing Apple for
changing the glyph, but how did the Unicode Consortium itself get
dragged into this? What obvious thing am I missing?

Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US |