Re: Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:04:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 14:17:30 +0000, Denis Jacquerye wrote;

>> There is no point about other letters than the basic alphabet superscripted,
>> as no French abbreviation exceeds this range (despite of what I believed
>> in 2014, like many other people).
>
> What does that mean? How would that help for the French vernacular
> 3ème, or the Spanish C.ía. You might find
> there are many more uses than you think. Higher level protocols can already
> support these.
> Maybe what we need is better and more general higher level protocol support.

I agree with most points.

> better and more general higher level protocol support.

Perhaps starting with Word not cancelling superscripting as soon as
a character style is applied.

> Higher level protocols can already support these.

They can even support the copyleft symbol by turning the copyright sign,
as the proposer of the former indicated, with CSS (one example: [1]).

> the Spanish C.ía. You might find
> there are many more uses than you think.

Spanish and many other languages are different in that they use punctuation
to note abbreviations, while in French, even the dot is prohibited in this
use case. Spanish ‘C.ía’ is intelligible even without superscripting.
Having said that… maybe there remain some cases that are not covered with
superscripted basic letters while they are prone to confuse people, OK.

> How would that help for the French vernacular 3ème

It donʼt, but as I wrote in parentheses (unfortunately without quoting
any example of an ordinal number), this corresponds to « what I believed
in 2014, like many other people ».

Kind regards,
Marcel

[1]: http://dispoclavier.com/#h448 [last line before table caption]