Re: Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 21:24:11 +0100 (BST)

On 2016-10-10, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2016, at 21:04, Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Linguists don't need internationalization. They use IPA or other notations.
>
> We need reliable plain-text notation systems. Otherwise distinctions we wish to encode may be lost.

We have no need to make such distinctions in "plain text".

It's convenient to have major distinctions easily accessible without
font hacking, but there's no need to have every notation one might
dream up forcibly incorporated into "plain text".
In particular, for super/subscripts, which is where we came in, even
the benighted souls using Word still typically recognize and can use
LaTeX notation.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.