Re: Emoji end goal

From: Rebecca T <637275_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:17:22 -0400

Well, I think it’s definitely important to have representation and
expression for people of all skin tones and genders even in things like
emoji.

I think we’re rapidly reaching a limit for variation sequences, and I’m
personally not begging for hair color modifiers (although I would welcome
them).

I do worry a bit about the burden of supporting emoji on new systems.
Drawing thousands (not that anyone can even count how many emoji there are)
is a significant burden on developers creating new systems, and the
alternative (tofu) isn’t appealing. There is Symbola (which leaves
something to be desired, to say the least) and the graphical solutions,
like Apple’s image-based or Microsoft’s layered-vector approach, have
non-trivial implementations (stuff I wouldn’t want to take care of if I was
creating a new system).

I guess what I’m saying is: does anyone want to extent Unifont into the
astral planes?