Historical question about 'universal signs'

From: seth erickson <sr.erickson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 10:11:36 -0700

Greetings Unicoders,

I'm trying to find information (for research purposes) about a character
set mentioned in Joseph Becker's 1988 draft proposal [1]:

"In 1978, the initial proposal for a set of 'Universal Signs' was made by
Bob Belleville at Xerox PARC. Many persons contributed ideas to the
development of a new encoding design. Beginning in 1980, these efforts
evolved into the Xerox Character Code Standard (XCCS) [...]"

XCCS is fairly well documented but I'm having trouble finding anything
about the proposal by Bob Belleville. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Seth Erickson
PhD student
Department of Information Studies