Re: Possible to add new precomposed characters for local language in Togo?

From: Mats Blakstad <mats.gbproject_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 16:01:56 +0100

> Don’t use dead keys on the keyboard layout, then you can have the same
keyboard on Windows and Ubuntu.

As we try to keep the French keyboard 1:1 and only extend it with extra
functionalities, I guess we need to keep the dead keys already present
there?

> Shouldn’t you already have broken the French layout by reassigning keys
to Togo language letters Ɛ, Ǝ, Ɩ, Ɔ, Ʋ, Ʊ, Ŋ?
> If not, it sounds like it will slow down typing in those languages.

No, in XKB we managed to keep the French keyboard 1:1, only extend it with
extra symbols.
We can't reassigning keys as local languages in Togo also use all letters
in French alphabet.
Besides, they mostly use the French keyboard, it will make it a lot easier
& faster if they just can get extended buttons to a keyboard they already
know.

> You can also do dead keys in reverse where, instead of having the
diacritic key as a dead key that one pressed before a letter key, you have
the letter key as a dead key that you press before the diacritic key.

I managed to maske such a solution, but then the keyboard is not any longer
1;1 with French keyboard as users can use the keyboard exactly as they're
used to use the French keyboard.
What I try achieve is to keep the French keyboard unchanged, extend it with
symbols for Togolese local languages, and keep the assignment of diacritics
consistent with that of the French keyboard.

> Windows keymap compiler supports chained dead keys, it's only the visual
editor that does not allow it
> Serial dead keys are a Windows feature,and implementing them is feasible
around MSKLC although not in the GUI

Are there any other framework than MSKLC that is simple and easy to use?
Or do we need to build from scratch?

> http://charupdate.info#drivers
> Further I recommend to program the deadtrans list in C because this has
the advantage of working on a flat list, while in the .klc source it is
grouped.
> http://keyman.com/

Thanks for these great leads! I guess keyman will make it dependent for the
user to install extra softwares? And the charupdate is not available.
To me now it seems like the best approach to do it in C, I will try
investigate more on this.

Thanks for all the helpful feedbacks!