RE: Possible to add new precomposed characters for local language in Togo?

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 03:31:58 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 04 Nov 2016 13:52:52 -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Going beyond 4 seems like such a useful and intriguing enhancement, for
> some folks anyway, that if it were possible, it should be easy to find
> at least one example where some DDK developer has utilized it.

Yes indeed, itʼs finally rather easy to find:
http://accentuez.mon.nom.free.fr/Clavier-CreationClavier.php
(again) writes notably (as of the present topic; translation follows below):

| aLigature
| […]
| Le fichier kbd.h ne contient que 4 types LIGATURE2, LIGATURE3, LIGATURE4,
| LIGATURE5. Mais en réalité on n’est pas limité à cinq unités de code : si on a
| une touche Alt-Gr + espace qui renvoie dix unités de code, par exemple *LIGATURE*,
| on peut déclarer la table précédente comme suit :
|
| TYPEDEF_LIGATURE(10) // LIGATURE10, *PLIGATURE10;
| static ALLOC_SECTION_LDATA LIGATURE10 aLigature[] = {
| […]
| };
|
| On peut donc créer des touches renvoyant des mots, voire des phrases.
| On est toutefois limité à seize unités de code TYPEDEF_LIGATURE(16).

“The kbd.h file contains only 4 types LIGATURE2, LIGATURE3, LIGATURE4, LIGATURE5.
But in reality one is not limited to five code units: if AltGr + space generates
ten code units, e.g. as in ‘*LIGATURE*’, the table above can be declared as follows:
TYPEDEF_LIGATURE(10) // LIGATURE10, *PLIGATURE10;
static ALLOC_SECTION_LDATA LIGATURE10 aLigature[] = {
[…]
};
Thus we can create keys generating words or even sentences. However we are
limited to sixteen code units: TYPEDEF_LIGATURE(16).”

As of retrieving this page, it is actually the 18th result of Bing Search on
'keyboard layout creation', results in all languages enabled.

Marcel