Re: The (Klingon) Empire Strikes Back

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:46:09 -0500

Thanks, Asmus.

The document from the copyright office is pretty explicit and final, and
it is pretty clear that you can't copyright an *alphabet*, that is
*characters*. You can copyright *glyphs* (a font), but that is another
matter entirely.

I've heard that there are similar questions regarding tengwar and cirth,
but it is notable that UTC *did* see fit to consider this question for
them and determine that they were worthy of encoding (they are on the
roadmap), even though they have not actually followed through on that
yet, perhaps because of these very IP concerns. Notably, pIqaD is not
only not on the roadmap, it is specifically listed on the "Not on the
Roadmap" page as an example of something that was not deemed worthy of
being on the roadmap. If it's an IP issue, then someone will have to
explain to me why it applies so asymmetrically to Tolkien and Klingon
(and Blissymbolics, for that matter). And yes, these are not the only
writing systems with these issues and will not be the last. One way or
another, the question will have to be faced and dealt with one way or
another; ignoring it won't help.

~mark