Re: Suppressing Ligation of Spacing Marks

From: Norbert Lindenberg <unicode_at_lindenbergsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 22:10:34 +0900

The part of the specification of the Universal Shaping Engine [1] that deals with ZWNJ is a bit unclear, but I read it to mean that ZWNJ should not cause the insertion of a dotted circle if the character following it has general category Mn or Mc.

The USE specification says: "The zero-width non-joiner is used to prevent a fusion of two characters. It continues a preceding cluster but causes a cluster break after itself when the following character is not a mark character (gc=Mn or gc=Mc).”

The specification does not say how this character should be handled in cluster validation. I assume first that the statement about the combining grapheme joiner also applies to ZWNJ: “CGJ has been omitted from the above schema in order to avoid unnecessary complexity”. I further interpret the little the spec does say about ZWNJ to imply that it should be allowed before any character with general category Mn or Mc, without affecting the validity of the cluster. Inserting a dotted circle would be equivalent to causing a cluster break, which the spec rules out when the following character has general category Mn or Mc.

 U+1A63 has gc=Mc, so it shouldn’t be preceded by a dotted circle in the sequence <NA, ZWNJ, SIGN AA, …>. Note that I omitted the first “…” from the sequence you provided, because an intervening character might trigger the dotted circle.

So this may just be a bug in the implementation of the USE that you’re using. I see this bug in Safari (CoreText), but not in Firefox (Harfbuzz); haven’t tried Edge. Which one are you using?

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OpenTypeDev/USE/intro.htm

Best regards,
Norbert