RE: Possible to add new precomposed characters for local language in Togo?

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 09:47:00 -0700

Marcel Schneider wrote:

> For lack of anything better, and faced with Microsoftʼs one weekʼs
> silence, I now suggest to make a wider use of the Vietnamese text
> representation scheme that Microsoft implemented for Vietnamese, that
> is documented in TUS [1],

The entire "documentation" of this approach in Section 7.1 of TUS is:

"Some widely used implementations prefer storing the vowel letter and
the tone mark separately."

That said,

> and that might be of wider interest for all tone mark using languages,
> including but not limited to Ga and other languages of Togo and other
> countries of Africa, and Lithuanian:
>
> — Vowels with diacritics that are not tone marks, e. g. 6 out of the
> 12 Vietnamese vowels as shown in Figure 7-3. of TUS 9.0 [2] are
> represented in NFC and entered either with live keys or with a dead
> key - live key combination;
>
> — Tone marks are added as combining diacritics with live keys after
> the vowels.

As long as implementations can deal with text that is not strictly NFC,
this seems like a sensible way to support multiple diacritical marks
while remaining compatible with existing dead-key implementations (Mats
stated that compatibility with the existing French layout was a
requirement) and existing architectural constraints.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org