Re: Bidi: inserting Japanese paragraphs in Arabic/Farsi document

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 21:19:40 +0100

Note that if you get :

   OWT-CIBARA "Japanese2 【Japanese1】" ENO-CIBARA

this means that the first quotation mark is "transparent" and preserves the
RTL direction.
And I don't see then how you can pair the final quotation mark, unless you
consider it as "leading" the ARABIC-TWO part (meaning that you don't pair
these quotation marks at all: only brackets are paired and the
fragment【Japanese1】
is correct (you are using the new Bidi algorithm).

There's still ambiguities for handling pairs of quotation marks (this is
not evident at all and it is language-dependant when some languages do not
distinguish the glyph for the leading and trailing marks, or swap them, for
difdicult problem in multilingual documents not only mixing RTL and LTR
scripts and needing the Bidi algorithm, and different LTR languages are
occuring).

For citation of Japanese in Arabic text, I sould suggest using Asian
quotation marks by encoding:

  ARABIC-ONE 「【Japanese1】 Japanese2」 ARABIC-TWO

so that Asian quotation marks will unambiguously pair together and you'll
get:

   OWT-CIBARA 「Japanese2 【Japanese1】」 ENO-CIBARA

Or because 「」, like also 【】, are unambiguously LTR giving them a strong LTR
direction, you'd then get the best:

   OWT-CIBARA 「【Japanese1】 Japanese2」 ENO-CIBARA

But If there are line-wraps in the middle of the Japanese section:

 「【Japanese1】 ENO-CIBARA
   OWT-CIBARA Japanese2」

notably if you can't mirror the CJK quotation marks

Otherwise if you can mirror these marks :

 【Japanese1】┐ ENO-CIBARA
   OWT-CIBARA └Japanese2

or without any line-break in the middle of the Japanese quotation :

    OWT-CIBARA └Japanese2【Japanese1】┐ ENO-CIBARA

(here I use└ ┐ only as aliases for the mirrored「」, which are not encoded)