Re: Bidi: inserting Japanese paragraphs in Arabic/Farsi document

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:25:16 +0100

No, I was speaking at the encoding level. Even if your Arabic keyboard
displays a ")", and you type it, it will output/encode an open parenthesis
"(", that will then be mirrored to display a ")" glyph, matching your key
input.
The Bidi algorithm will still render it RTL (i.e. it will reorder it/"swap
it" so that it will render to the right of Arabic characters entered after
it. That encoded open parenthesis character is then both reordered and
rendered mirrored.
However with Asian parentheses in this context, they are also reordered...
but not mirrored when in fact they should be treated as strong LTR, and not
reordered (and not mirrored at all)

For Asian parentheses this is less a problem (you do not see the difference
if the two parentheses are already symetric) than with Asian square-angle
quotation marks: the effect of the absence of mirroring when swapping them
becomes evidently wrong: but they are still reordered ("swapped" visually)
as if they were Bidi-neutral, but as they are not symetric and not
mirrored, they are oriented the wrong way.