Re: Misspelling or Miscoding?

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:25:14 -0800

OK, I was first thinking you had something more in mind like ordering of
(e.g. Lao?) tone marks that normally do not render exactly the same, but
close, and where some font/rendering engine could go and make them
identical in an effort to be helpful. In those cases one can presume a
preferred ordering, and, in principle, that can be imposed upon a text,
whether via autocorrrect or spell check.

Now I'm thinking your focus was more on cases the like two Khmer
subjoined consonant sequences:
U+17D2 U+178A ្ដ KHMER CONSONANT SIGN COENG DA
U+17D2 U+178F ្ត KHMER CONSONANT SIGN COENG TA
that apparently have identical appearance, even though one is a 'd' and
the other a 't'. (That's the only example that I'm personally familiar
with).

Unless some fonts ever make a distinction, this seems to be a case where
"miscoding" might be an appropriate term. As far as the user is
concerned, the issue only arises because of the encoding scheme used. (A
hypothetical different scheme that had one of these precomposed with a
name containing something like DA OR TA would have not surfaced an
invisible distinction).

Are your examples likewise legitimate duplications or merely the case
that one could type something else and have it look the same (accidentally).

The Khmer example would seem fairly resistant to automated correction if
it is a free choice. If, instead, the immediately preceding consonant
comes from two disjoined sets, for example if TA COENG TA was possible,
but not TA COENG DA, then there's scope for spell check.

In designing label generation rules for domain names, one clearly
doesn't want two labels that cannot be distinguished other than on the
encoding level. For Khmer, the decision was to allow both, but not
simultaneously (by allowing only one member of each minimal pair to be
registered, which one is decided by the order of application).

A./