Re: Stokoe Notation (sign language)

From: Lorna Evans <lorna_evans_at_sil.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:46:41 -0600

Hi Simon,

I did a lot of research on Stokoe Notation between 2010-2012. It has
primarily been used in dictionaries. When I presented that document
(L2/12-133) to UTC, these are the summary notes I took:

We only had about 10-15 minutes to discuss Stokoe Notation in the main
UTC but they decided to have an ad-hoc meeting at lunch so we had about
40 minutes over lunch on Stokoe. There was no support for encoding it as
a script. They feel it "should not be encoded as a script any more than
math or music is a script. " It "doesn't make sense to do it as plain
text...would be a serious mistake". So, they want it to use all the
existing Latin characters and symbols in the standard and just encode
new characters as symbols and then use a higher level protocol for the
shaping. All the fancy layout can be expressed in MathML.

I think I still disagree (I think it should be encoded as a writing
system), but Stokoe isn't high on my list of priorities and I haven't
had a chance to do further research. Major dictionaries that have been
produced using Stokoe Notation are for British Sign Language (BSL),
American Sign Language (ASL), Hong Kong Sign Language (HKSL), Signed
Swedish (SS), Italian Sign Language (LIS) and Czech Sign Language. I
also reviewed books or documents discussing Dutch Sign Language (DSE)
and Australian Aboriginal (ASL).

Each and every one of these had differing levels of rendering
requirements (from very minor all the way to the need for control codes
for positioning) because they had "enhanced" the original ASL Stokoe
Notation. I feel it's complex enough that it should definitely have
further research done on it. I just don't have the time to put on it at
this point. (The L2/12-133 document didn't include a review of Czech
Sign Language. When I did get a copy of that dictionary I discovered
even more enhancements. I never documented those.)

Lorna