Re: "A Programmer's Introduction to Unicode"

From: Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny_at_eglug.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:53:27 +0200

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 05:00:55PM +0000, Peter Constable wrote:
> FYI:
>
> http://reedbeta.com/blog/programmers-intro-to-unicode/
>
> The visuals may be the most interesting part. E.g., in the usage heat
> map, Arabic Presentation Forms-B lights up much more than I would have
> expected

I often see U+FEFB and other lam-alef ligatures used on social media (I
easily spot it because my default font does not have them so they end up
using fallback font).

My guess is that might be because some keyboard layouts (Xorg, Android?)
use them for the lam-alef keys on the keyboard (I’m guilty of doing this
for Xorg keyboard layout because it didn’t handle more than one
character per key, this was then decomposed back inside XIM input
method, but many people don’t use XIM and the decomposition does not
happen, it was messy overall).

Regards,
Khaled