Re: "A Programmer's Introduction to Unicode"

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 20:20:25 -0400

A word ending in A *or* AA preceding a word beginning in A *or* AA will
all coalesce to a single AA in Sanskrit. That's four possibilities, and
that doesn't count a word ending in a consonant preceding a word
beginning in AA, which would be written the same. My memory is rusty,
so I should actually be looking things up, but I think these are valid
constructions:

न + अगच्छत् → नागच्छत्
न + आगच्छत् → नागच्छत्

(and indeed, आगच्छत् is the upasarga आ plus अगच्छत्, so there too the A
+ AA coalesced.) I should probably find you examples for all the other
possibilities. Sanskrit external vowel sandhi is comparatively
straightforward (compared to consonant sandhi), and it frequently loses
information. A *or* AA plus I is E; A *or* AA plus U is O (you need A +
O to get AU).

~mark