Re: Standaridized variation sequences for the Desert alphabet?

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:54:39 +0000 (GMT)

>> If the user community needs to preserve the distinction in plain-text, then variation selection is the right approach.

> True. However, the user community is tiny, and I suspect that those variation selectors would never get used.

I do not use Deseret myself.

I opine that encoding the variation selector sequences would be good.

My reason for that opinion is because I opine that Unicode should provide for such situations where they are known to exist, even if the usage of the encoding may be very rare.

Am I correct in thinking that making use of such a variation selector encoding would be a font issue rather than an operating system issue?

Unicode is intended to be a long-lasting standardized system, so hopefully adding the variation selector sequences into The Unicode Standard now would provide support for a very long time.

Am I correct in thinking that the cost of adding the variation selector sequences into The Unicode Standard would be very small?

William Overington

Wednesday 22 March 2017