Re: Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 15:03:11 +0100 (BST)

> What the UTC is looking for is commitments from major vendors.

Well should it be applying such a filter on progress?

I opine that assessment should be on merit and that new ideas should be considered on an even-handed basis. Progress should not be on the basis of what major vendors choose to do. Requiring commitments from major vendors could be a barrier to new enterprises developing and a barrier to progress for the benefit of consumers being made.

> Of course, there is some judgment involved as to what constitutes "major": at one extreme clearly 1B DAUs qualifies, and at the other extreme, 1K doesn't.

What does 1B DAUs mean please?

William Overington

Thursday 30 March 2017