Re: Encoding of old compatibility characters

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:02:13 +0200

Probably you've installed the Noto collection on your Windows XP, or
installed some software that added fonts to the system (pmossibly with
updates to the Uniscribe library, suc has an old version of Office).
Anyway I would no longer trust XP for doing correct rendering for many
scripts, even with Uniscribe which is not needed for this simple character
mapped in the BMP. Now minimal support in XP is essentially by third party
software providers. Most have resigned, except Mozilla and some security
suites that attempt to fill the gaps abandonned now by Microsoft (but still
maintain it... because there are still various banks using it for example
in their ATM: you know it when you frequently see the ATM rebooting of
sometimes unusable as it has crashed with a "BSOD" displayed).