RE: Tailoring the Marketplace (is: Re: Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final)

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:49:01 +0000

The interest of consumers, in regard to emoji, will never be best met by Unicode-encoded emoji, no matter what process there is for determining what should be "recommended", because consumers inevitably want emoji they recommend for themselves, not what anybody else recommends. If Sally wants an emoji to convey her thoughts on her grandson's school play, or on the latest tweet from a politician, or whatever, she wants it _now_, and she doesn't particularly care if you or I would recommend that emoji to her or not. So, before we go talking about whether _Unicode_ is accommodating the benefit of consumers, I think should be asking whether _all the popular communications protocols_ are accommodating the benefit of consumers.

Peter