Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 01:19:02 +0100

On 6 Apr 2017, at 00:12, James Kass <jameskasskrv_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Kent Karlsson wrote,
>
>> - with the extra requirement to have VSs also for the boarder line drawing characters (to make them fit for drawing chess board boarders, in a general purpose font), and
>
> This doesn't seem necessary. A general purpose font modified to display the chess board in plain text in accordance with Michael Everson's proposal would be expected to use the same metrics as the box drawing glyphs for all of the VS-produced glyphs. A general purpose font *not* so modified would not be expected to display the chessboard in a perfect square, anyway. (Yet the display would still be legible.)

Well.

1) A general purpose font that wanted to support chessboards as well as legacy graphic terminals would make use of VS for the border characters in order to be able to do both.

2) If we decided to standardizing on that would have to burden chess-font designers with either

a) learning how to draw graphic terminal characters correctly in their chess fonts along with the characters + VS for actual use

b) ignoring graphic terminal character shapes and just pasting in the chess shapes to those code positions

Michael Everson