Re: Standaridized variation sequences for the Desert alphabet?

From: David Starner <prosfilaes_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 07:27:23 +0000

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 12:07 AM Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
wrote:

> And while we currently have no evidence that Deseret had developed a
> typographic tradition where some type styles would use one set of
> ligatures, and other styles would use another set, it wouldn't be
> possible to reject this possibility without actually trying to find
> evidence one way or another.

Deseret didn't really develop a typographic tradition at all. To quote
Wikipedia:

 At least four books were published in the new alphabet, all transcribed by
Orson Pratt and all using the Russell's House font: The First Deseret
Alphabet Reader (1868), The Second Deseret Alphabet Reader (1868), The Book
of Mormon (1869), and a Book of Mormon excerpt called First Nephi–Omni
(1869).

There's also a couple years where the Deseret News printed a short piece in
the Deseret alphabet in every issue, but in any case, these new glyphs
never had a metal type made for them and never saw print until modern times.