Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 15:50:33 +0200

> On 8 Apr 2017, at 13:01, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > (They ARE using fonts, which shows they want to do this in text. They
> are NOT using UCS characters, and they do NOT have a coherent model amongst
> any of their hacks.)
> >
> > May be they use fonts,
>
> There is no maybe about it.

There REALLY IS a "maybe", because this is not required at all, and most
chess applications do not use any "font" (most of them display bitmap
icons, or custom 2D/3D graphics)

> > but is OpenType the best tool for applications to create indexed
> collections of glyphs?
>
> Standardized variation sequences for specific glyph presentation is a part
> of our standard. I have implemented this for the purposes described and it
> works. I implemented it with Williams font and it works. William
> implemented it in his font on his own and it works.
>
> What does this have to do with “indexed collections of glyphs”?
>
> > SVG fonts are much easier to develop and change as they want.
>
> Red herring.

What ??? Black herring here !

> > And SVG glyphs are easier to integrate in derived documents.
>
> Nonsense.

Non sense reply !!! Custom fonts are hard to integrate as they depend on
renderers (which most applications don't want to support directly, they are
part of a browser or OS). And OpenType fonts are much less flexible for
what applications want to do. SVG allows much easier variations and
effects. There are tons of tools or stylesheets for that, which will not
work on glyphs in OpenType fonts.

> > For implementing a simple game, they don't need large collections. They
> can more easily integrate photographic features, or 3D features. OpenType
> implementations suffer from a huge resistance for newer features many
> features don't work if at the same time the Opentype renderer is not
> updated on the supporting platform (OS or web browser)
>
> We’re not proposing to “implement a game”.

You were yourself speaking about applications, me too, not just a "game".