Re: Unicode vs. Unikod

From: Aleksey Tulinov <aleksey.tulinov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:01:32 +0300

On 04/10/2017 12:54 PM, Janusz S. Bień wrote:

> Grammatical Dictionary of Polish contains only "unicode":
>
> http://sgjp.pl/leksemy/#73537/unicode

I'm deeply impressed that dictionary contains grammar for registered
trademarks. Google and Microsoft are also there, but not Oracle. I'm not
confident i understand how that works.

To compare to Cambridge Dictionary:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/google?fallbackFrom=british-grammar

Apparently "google" is a verb as in "to google", and this is why it's in
the dictionary, but "Microsoft" and "Unicode" are missing.

> This is probably the reason why, to my surprise, the word was
> introduced also in some other Slavonic languages, e.g.
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Unikod.

I believe "Юникод" in Russian is just a foreign word adopted by
language, and it's a russism, it's a way of saying "Unicode" in Russian
(phonetically the same). So apparently word "юникод" was adopted as a
noun, similarly to how "google" was adopted in English as a verb.