Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Kent Karlsson via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 11:15:46 +0200

Den 2017-04-12 05:14, skrev "Garth Wallace" <gwalla_at_gmail.com>:

> One salient feature the Block Elements have that the Box Drawing characters do
> not: distinct LEFT and RIGHT verticals, and LOWER and UPPER horizontals. The
> double frame typically consists of a thin line and a thicker line, with one on
> the inside and one on the outside, so left and right verticals are not
> interchangeable. Even when a single frame is used, it is important for
> spacing, since the frame should be flush against the board.

Note that I used TWO DIFFERENT variation selectors for the horizontal and
vertical box drawing characters in my suggestion (marked in bold here):

2500 FE00; Chessboard box drawing (top); # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT HORIZONTAL
(U+2500)
2500 FE01; Chessboard box drawing (bottom); # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT HORIZONTAL
(U+2500)
2502 FE00; Chessboard box drawing (left); # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT VERTICAL
(U+2502)
2502 FE01; Chessboard box drawing (right); # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT VERTICAL
(U+2502)
250C FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT DOWN AND RIGHT
(U+250C)
2510 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT DOWN AND LEFT
(U+2510)
2514 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT UP AND RIGHT
(U+2514)
2518 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT UP AND LEFT (U+2518)

2550 FE00; Chessboard box drawing (top); # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE HORIZONTAL
(U+2550)
2550 FE01; Chessboard box drawing (bottom); # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE HORIZONTAL
(U+2550)
2551 FE00; Chessboard box drawing (left); # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE VERTICAL
(U+2551)
2551 FE01; Chessboard box drawing (right); # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE VERTICAL
(U+2551)
2554 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE DOWN AND RIGHT
(U+2554)
2557 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE DOWN AND LEFT
(U+2557)
255A FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE UP AND RIGHT
(U+255A)
255D FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE UP AND LEFT
(U+255D)

/Kent K