Re: English flag (from Re: How to Add Beams to Notes)

From: William_J_G Overington via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 21:31:10 +0100 (BST)

Ken Whistler wrote:

> I suggest the following:

> 10BEDE for an English flag (reminding one of Bede the Venerable)
> 10CADF for a Welsh flag (harking to Cadfan ap Iago, King of Gwynedd)
> 10A1BA for a Scottish flag (for Alba, of course)

> Surely those would work for you!

Thank you for your reply. Nicely! Those code points each have a helpful mnemonic.

I had not known of Cadfan ap Iago until I read your post.

I found the following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfan_ap_Iago

I opine that we need to make it clear, for the benefit of some people new to Unicode who may be reading this thread, that those code points are in one of the Private Use Areas, namely Supplementary Private Use Area-B, so there could be problems using them in some circumstances due to lack of uniqueness in the use of those code points.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U100000.pdf

William Overington

Wednesday 3 May 2017