Re: Petition to ban Google from designing emoji

From: Gabriel von Dehn via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 17:16:31 +0300

Hi,

the Unicode Consortium does not and cannot “ban” vendors from designing emojis the way they wish. Unicode merely gives recommendations on how the characters should be displayed. Think of the different designs on different platforms like different fonts you can use (because that is actually what they are): They all look slightly different and no one would hold a petition for the design of characters in a font to change.

As for the gendered Emojis, those are in the Unicode specification now: http://emojipedia.org/emoji-4.0/ <http://emojipedia.org/emoji-4.0/>

If you do not like the upcoming Emoji design from Google (or anything about the upcoming version of Android), you can report to Google directly, but posting on this List won’t help.