Re: Petition to ban Google from designing emoji

From: Doug Ewell via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 09:48:19 -0700

Asmus Freytag wrote:

>> Given that one co-chair of the Emoji Subcommittee is from Apple and
>> the other is from Google, you may wish to rethink your expectations
>> about all this.
>
> I'd expect "zelpa" to feel validated by this info in their concern,
> wouldn't you?

Well, it's public information: http://www.unicode.org/emoji/

The more important point is the one others have been making: Unicode
does not and cannot attempt to dictate to any vendor how to design
glyphs, either for normal characters like A and Ω and 丱 or for emoji.

Unicode does insist that the glyph design not misrepresent the meaning
of the character, which I believe was Michael Everson's objection to
vendors implementing U+1F3B1 BILLIARDS as a lone 8-ball. It's not clear
to me that the Google redesign discussed here goes that far; this seems
more like objection on aesthetic grounds.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org