RE: Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

From: Shawn Steele via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 21:41:49 +0000

So basically this came about because code got bugged for not following the "recommendation." To fix that, the recommendation will be changed. However then that is going to lead to bugs for other existing code that does not follow the new recommendation.

I totally get the forward/backward scanning in sync without decoding reasoning for some implementations, however I do not think that the practices that benefit those should extend to other applications that are happy with a different practice.

In either case, the bad characters are garbage, so neither approach is "better" - except that one or the other may be more conducive to the requirements of the particular API/application.

I really think the correct approach here is to allow any number of replacement characters without prejudice. Perhaps with suggestions for pros and cons of various approaches if people feel that is really necessary.

-Shawn