Re: Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

From: Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 06:34:06 +0100

On Fri, 26 May 2017 11:22:37 -0700
Ken Whistler via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> On 5/26/2017 10:28 AM, Karl Williamson via Unicode wrote:
> > The link provided about the PRI doesn't lead to the comments.
> >

> PRI #121 (August, 2008) pre-dated the practice of keeping all the
> feedback comments together with the PRI itself in a numbered
> directory with the name "feedback.html". But the comments were
> collected together at the time and are accessible here:
>
> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2008/08282-pubrev.html#pri121
>
> Also there was a separately submitted comment document:
>
> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2008/08280-pri121-cmt.txt
>
> And the minutes of the pertinent UTC meeting (UTC #116):
>
> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2008/08253.htm
>
> The minutes simply capture the consensus to adopt Option #2 from PRI
> #121, and the relevant action items.

For Unicode members, there is also the original Unicore thread, which
starts at
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicore-ml/y2008-m04/0091.html .

(I couldn't find anything on the general list.)

There were objections there to replacing non-shortest form sequences by
multiple ocurrences of U+FFFD. They were rejected by those that
mattered, and so the option of a single U+FFFD was not included in the
PRI.

Richard.