Re: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S officially recognized

From: Philippe Verdy via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 19:02:31 +0200

True but this only applies to "simple case mappings" (those in the main
datatase), not to extended mappings (which are locale dependant, such as
mappings for dotted and undotted i in Turkish).

So the extended mappings can perfectly be changed for German: they are not
part of the stability policy and designed to be extensible. And this is
where you find the existing mapping from ß to SS (lossy case conversion),
that will change to ẞ (non lossy case conversion).