Re: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S officially recognized

From: Werner LEMBERG via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 11:34:56 +0200 (CEST)

> > Is it possible to design fonts that will render ẞ as SS?
> >
> > So we could choose between ẞ and SS by just selecting the proper
> > font, without changing the text itself.
>
> I think, and others agree, that this is a bad thing. Those who want
> SS can simply use 'S' and 'S', ẞ was encoded for those who wanted to
> use a capital form of ß. They would be annoyed if they found that
> the typeface they wanted subverted their intentions.

It's even more complicated. Take for example the word `Straße'
(street), which gets capitalized as `STRASSE'. In Germany and Austria
this word gets hyphenated as `STRA-SSE' (since hyphenation is not
influenced by the ß→SS substitution). However, in Switzerland it gets
hyphenated as `STRAS-SE', since Swiss German doesn't use ß; instead,
`ss' gets treated as a normal double consonant.

    Werner