Aw: Re: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S officially recognized

From: Jörg Knappen <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 18:05:28 +0200
No, the hyphenation oddity involving the addition of letters with hyphenation
(or, to be more precise, to suppress letters in unhyphenated words) never affected the letter s.
It affected other letters (I know examples for f, l, m, n, p, r, and t) when followed by a vowel, like in
Schiffahrt/Schiff-fahrt. It was always Sauerstoffflasche with three f's.

In the old (1910) spelling of German, ss at the word boundary obligatory became ß. When the
ß was replaced by ss (because of all caps or unavailability of the letter), all three s's were retained.

In the current orthography, the hyphenation oddity is removed completely.

--Jörg Knappen