Re: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S officially recognized

From: Gerrit Ansmann via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 14:32:43 +0200

On 04.07.2017 12:19, Otto Stolz via Unicode wrote:
> I was referring to contemporary writing systems. Indeed, several east European languages (including, e. g. Latvian) were written in blackletter, with German sound-letter correspondence, before they developped their own writing systems.

Sure. It’s nothing that needs to be taken into account, if you ask me.

> The only word to be printed in blackletter all-caps was – as far as I know – “der HERR”, or “der HErr”, meaning “the Lord” (in texts from the bible). In general, blackletter capitals are not designed for all-caps, so that would look disgustingly. Thence the form “HErr“ which is a bit more readable.

You can rarely find blackletter all-caps on title pages, e.g.:
        https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Die_Lesung_derer_Romans,_als_ein_sehr_bedenkliches_Mittel_seine_Schreibart_zu_verbessern.djvu
(While the word in all-caps is “Herr”, it is here used in the meaning of “mister” and not “the Lord”.)
Most often this happens to place names.