Re: Unicode education in UK Schools

From: Asmus Freytag via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 09:04:39 -0700
On 7/8/2017 3:36 AM, Otto Stolz via Unicode wrote:
Übung Unicode

Thanks, it's been too long.

Anyway, I tried it, and the top search page yielded at least one programming exercise for UTF-8. That's the minimum level of Unicode proficiency that I would expect from CS students. But some handling of combining mark (and also the new emoji sequences) would equally constitute "basic" knowledge, with the Unicode algorithms like sorting, line break, bidi etc covering the next layer. Not yet seen any indication that there's instruction devoted to them.

Non-ASCII Unicode code values are tested in conjunction with mathematical chess and other symbols in some exercises, which renders them culturally more neutral.

A./