Re: Should U+3248 ... U+324F be wide characters?

From: Philippe Verdy via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:23:02 +0200

I do agree, only CJK fonts using in CJK contexts will render them as "W"
(i.e. the fixed-width srandard ideogaphic composition square). If they are
used in Latin, they will adopt the metrics of the Latin font including
them, thery will be square but not necessarily aligned with the ideographic
square but could be aligned to that their internal digits will align on the
same base as normal digits, and the sqaure will include the Latin descender
and ascender height, the width will be adapted to match it (digits may need
to be compacted horizontally to fit the square with those metrics, but will
preserve their baseline alignment. If the normal Latin digits don't have
descenders, the squared variants may not include the full height used by
Latin letters with descenders.

These squared (or circled) characters however do not have registered
variants for digits with descenders (used in traditional typographic fonts
for Latin), such as 4, 7 or 9, or variable-width digits (not using the more
modern digits with "figure-space" fixed width), but I think the later would
not require such variant given that it's more the width of the enclosing
square (or circle) which is important, and digits will be adjusted in width
and interdigit gaps, as needed to fit.