Unicode Emoji 6.0 initial drafts / Draft Candidate chart updated

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:35:29 -0700

Softball imageEmoji 6.0 is starting development, and initial drafts of
the specification <http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/tr51-13.html> and
data files <http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/6.0/> are available. In the
specification and data, a new property is added that helps to
“future-proof” segmentation for emoji. The specification also contains
more proposed guidelines: for gender-neutral emoji, the application of
skin-tone modifiers, and others.

There are two types of emoji: characters and sequences. While these
appear and behave similarly for users, they are released on different
time schedules.

    * Emoji characters at *Draft Candidate* status are targeted at
      Unicode 11.0 (due in June 2018). These characters are
      “short-listed”. The Emoji Candidates chart
      <http://unicode.org/emoji/future/emoji-candidates.html> has been
      updated with these characters, and feedback is solicited on names,
      keywords, and ordering. They will be reviewed at the October UTC
      meeting and are on track for *Final Candidate* status.
    * Emoji sequences may be released as a part of Emoji 6.0. The exact
      content and release schedule of Emoji 6.0 has yet to be
      determined: it could appear earlier than Unicode 11.0. The
      Proposals for new sequences for Emoji 6.0 were presented in
      L2/17-287
      <http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2017/17287-esc-rec-part2.pdf> and will
      be reviewed in the October UTC meeting. Other proposals
      <http://www.unicode.org/emoji/selection.html#process_sequences>
      may be considered at that meeting.

/
Over 100,000 characters are available for adoption
<http://unicode.org/consortium/adopt-a-character.html>, to help the
Unicode Consortium’s work on digitally disadvantaged languages./

[salad badge] <http://unicode.org/consortium/adopt-a-character.html>

http://blog.unicode.org/2017/08/unicode-emoji-60-initial-drafts-draft.html

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements