Re: Unicode education in Schools

From: Andre Schappo via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 17:17:10 +0000

Because there are many systems that can now handle BMP characters but not cannot handle SMP characters.

One example being systems that use mysql utf8 (3 byte encoding) and have not yet updated to utf8mb4 (4 byte encoding)

So, I consider it important to familiarise students with SMP characters as well as BMP characters. Then when they develop software they will, at the start, be thinking beyond ASCII and Unicode BMP characters.

André Schappo