Re: The Unicode Standard and ISO

From: Asmus Freytag via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 09:43:28 -0700

On 5/17/2018 8:08 AM, Martinho Fernandes via Unicode wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are several mentions of synchronization with related standards in
> unicode.org, e.g. in https://www.unicode.org/versions/index.html, and
> https://www.unicode.org/faq/unicode_iso.html. However, all such mentions
> never mention anything other than ISO 10646.

Because that is the standard for which there is an explicit
understanding by all involved
relating to synchronization. There have been occasionally some
challenging differences
in the process and procedures, but generally the synchronization is
being maintained,
something that's helped by the fact that so many people are active in
both arenas.

There are really no other standards where the same is true to the same
extent.

> I was wondering which ISO standards other than ISO 10646 specify the
> same things as the Unicode Standard, and of those, which ones are
> actively kept in sync. This would be of importance for standardization
> of Unicode facilities in the C++ language (ISO 14882), as reference to
> ISO standards is generally preferred in ISO standards.

One of the areas the Unicode Standard differs from ISO 10646 is that its
conception
of a character's identity implicitly contains that character's
properties - and those are
standardized as well and alongside of just name and serial number.

Many of these properties have associated with them algorithms, e.g. the
bidi algorithm,
that are an essential element of data interchange: if you don't know
which order in
the backing store is expected by the recipient to produce a certain
display order, you
cannot correctly prepare your data.

There is one area where standardization in ISO relates to work in
Unicode that I can
think of, and that is sorting. However, sorting, beyond the underlying
framework,
ultimately relates to languages, and language-specific data is now
housed in CLDR.

Early attempts by ISO to standardize a similar framework for locale data
failed, in
part because the framework alone isn't the interesting challenge for a
repository,
instead it is the collection, vetting and management of the data.

The reality is that the ISO model and its organizational structures are
not well suited
to the needs of many important area where some form of standardization
is needed.
That's why we have organization like IETF, W3C, Unicode etc..

Duplicating all or even part of their effort inside ISO really serves
nobody's purpose.

A./