Re: Uppercase ß

From: Asmus Freytag via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 10:23:38 -0700
On 5/29/2018 5:57 AM, Hans Ã…berg via Unicode wrote:

On 29 May 2018, at 14:47, Arthur Reutenauer <arthur@reutenauer.eu> wrote:

The main point is what users of ẞ and ß would think, and Unicode to adjust accordingly.
 Since users of ß would think that in the vast majority of cases, it
ought to be uppercased to SS, I think you’re missing the main point.
No, you missed the point.

Overlooked in this discussion is the fact that the revised orthography of 1996 introduces for the first time a systematic difference in pronunciation for the vowel preceding SS vs. ẞ (short vs. long).  As users of the old orthography age out, I would not be surprised if the SS fallback were to become less acceptable over time because it would be at odds with how the word is to be pronounced. I'm also confidently expecting the use of ALL CAPS to become (somewhat) more prevalent under the continued influence of English usage.

Languages and writing systems evolve.

A./