Re: Hyphenation Markup

From: Martin J. Dürst via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 09:26:40 +0900

Hello Richard,

On 2018/06/02 20:37, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:

>> Am 2018-06-02 um 06:44 schrieb Richard Wordingham via Unicode:
>>> In Latin text, one can indicate permissible line break opportunities
>>> between grapheme clusters by inserting U+00AD SOFT HYPHEN. What
>>> low-end schemes, if any, exist for such mark-up within grapheme
>>> clusters?

> 1) In the sequence
>
> <letter-0, character-1, ZWSP, character-2, letter-1>
>
> realisation of the break should definitely result in <letter-0,
> character-1> on one line and in <character-2, letter-1> on the next
> line, whereas in visual order, character-2 should precede character-1.

My question goes a bit further than to Doug's: Why would you want to do
such a thing? Are there actual scripts/languages where line breaks
within grapheme clusters occur? If yes, what are there? Can you show
actual examples, e.g. scans of documents,...?

In writing systems, there are almost always exceptions to simple rules,
but in general, breaking a line *within* a grapheme cluster seems to be
a bad idea.

Regards, Martin.