Re: Can NFKC turn valid UAX 31 identifiers into non-identifiers?

From: Alastair Houghton via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:10:54 +0100

On 6 Jun 2018, at 17:50, Manish Goregaokar <manish_at_mozilla.com> wrote:

> I think the recommendation to use ASCII as much as possible is implicit there.

It would be a very good idea to make it explicit. Even for English speakers, there may be a temptation to use characters that are hard to distinguish or hard to type on someone else’s keyboard; some thought needs to be given before choosing non-ASCII identifiers. Sometimes you might even choose to support multiple spellings of an API to avoid any problems. And in other cases it’s a good idea to remember that someone other than you might have to maintain your code in the future; that person might not speak the same language you do or use the same keyboard.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net