Re: The Unicode Standard and ISO

From: Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 13:06:18 +0200

Where are you getting your "facts"? Among many unsubstantiated or ambiguous
claims in that very long sentence:

   1. "French locale in CLDR is still surprisingly incomplete".
      1. For each release, the data collected for the French locale is
      complete to the bar we have set for Level=Modern.
      2. What you may mean is that CLDR doesn't support a structure that
      you think it should. For that, you have to make a compelling
case that the
      structure you propose is worth it, worth diverting people from other
      priorities.
   2. French contributors are not "prevented from cooperating". Where do
   you get this from? Who do you mean?
      1. We have many French contribute data over time. Now, it works
      better when people engage under the umbrella of an organization, but even
      there that doesn't have to be a company; we have liaison
relationships with
      government agencies and NGOs.
   3. There were not "many attempts" at a merger, and Unicode didn't
   "refuse" anything. Who do you think "attempted", and when?
   1. Albeit given the state of ISO/IEC 15897, there was nothing such a
      merger would have contributed anyway.
      2. BTW, your use of the term "refuse" might be a language issue. I
      don't "refuse" to respond to the widow of a Nigerian Prince who wants to
      give me $1M. Since I don't think it is worth my time, or am not
      willing to upfront the low, low fee of $10K, I might "ignore" the
      email, or "not respond" to it. Or I might "decline" it with a
no-thanks or
      not-interested response. But none of that is to "refuse" it.

Mark