Re: The Unicode Standard and ISO

From: Steven R. Loomis via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 14:14:51 -0700

Richard,

> But the consortium has formally dropped the commitment to DUCET in CLDR.
> Even when restricted to strings of assigned characters, the
> CLDR and ICU no longer make the effort to support the DUCET
> collation.

 CLDR is not a collation implementation, it is a data repository with
associated specification. It was never required to 'support' DUCET. The
contents of CLDR have no bearing on whether implementations support DUCET.

CLDR ≠ ICU.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode <
unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 13:40:21 +0200
> Mark Davis ☕️ <mark_at_macchiato.com> wrote:
>
> > > The UCA contains features essential for respecting canonical
> > > equivalence. ICU works hard to avoid the extra effort involved,
> > > apparently even going to the extreme of implicitly declaring that
> > > Vietnamese is not a human language.
>
> > A bit over the top, eh?​
>
> Then remove the "no known language" from the bug list

What does this refer to?

> …ICU isn't
> fast enough to load a collation from customisation - it takes hours!

> ICU is, alas, ridiculously slow

I'm also curious what this refers to, perhaps it should be a separate ICU
bug?