Re: The Unicode Standard and ISO

From: Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 09:47:01 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 08:23:33 +0200 (CEST)
Marcel Schneider via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> > Where there is opportunity for productive sync and merging with is
> > glibc. We have had some discussions, but more needs to be done-
> > especially a lot of tooling work. Currently many bug reports are
> > duplicated between glibc and cldr, a sort of manual
> > synchronization. Help wanted here.
>
> Noted. For my part, sadly for C libraries I’m unlikely to be of any
> help.

I wonder how much of that comes under the sad category of "better not
translated". If an English speaker has to resort to search engines to
understand, let alone fix, a reported problem, it may be better for a
non-English speaker to search for the error message in English, and then
with luck he may find a solution he can understand. In a related vein,
one hears reports of people using English as the interface language,
because they can't understand the messages allegedly in their native
language.

Richard.