Re: The Unicode Standard and ISO

From: Philippe Verdy via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 16:38:05 +0200

I just see the WG2 as a subcomity where governements may just check their
practices and make minimum recommendations. Most governements are in fact
very late to adopt the industry standards that evolve fast, and they just
want to reduce the frequency of necessary changes jsut to enterinate what
seems to be stable enough and gives them long enough period to plan the
transitions. So ISO 10646 has had in fact very few updates compared to
Unicode (even if these Unicode changes were "synchronized", most of them
remained for long within optional amendments that are then synchronized in
ISO 10646 long after the inbdustry has started working on updating their
code for Unicode and made checks to ensure that it is stable enough to be
finally included in ISO 10646 later as the new minimal platform that
governments can reasonnably ask to be provided by their providers in the
industry at reasonnable (or no) additional cost.
So I see now ISO 646 only as a small subset of the Unicode standard. The
WG2 technical comity is jsut there to finally approve what can be endorsed
as a standard whose usage is made mandatory in governments, when the UTS
itself is still (and will remain) just optional (not a requirement). It
takes months or years to have new TUS features being available on all
platforms that governements use. WG2 probably does not focus really on
technical merits, but just evaluating the implementation and deployment
costs, and that's where the WG2 members decide what is reasonnable for them
to adopt (let's also not forget that ISO standards are mapped to national
standards that reference it normatively, and these national standards (or
European standards in the EEA) are legal requirements: governements then no
longer need to specify each time which requirement they want, they're just
saying that the national standards within a certain class are required for
all product/service offers, and failure to implement theses standards will
require those providers to fix their products at no additional cost, and
independantly of the contractual or subscribed period of support).