Re: The Unicode Standard and ISO

From: Marcel Schneider via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 09:10:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 21:21:40 -0700, Steven R. Loomis via Unicode wrote:

> Marcel,
> The idea is not necessarily without merit. However, CLDR does not usually expand scope just because of a suggestion.
>
> I usually recommend creating a new project first - gathering data, looking at and talking to projects to ascertain the usefulness
> of common messages.. one of the barriers to adding new content for CLDR is not just the design, but collecting initial data.
> When emoji or sub-territory names were added, many languages were included before it was added to CLDR.

We know it took years to collect the subterritory names and make sure the list and translations are complete.

> Also note CLDR does have some typographical terms for use in UI, such as 'bold' and 'italic'

I figure out that these are intended for tooltips on basic formatting facilities. High-end software like Microsoft Office has many more and adds
tooltips showing instructions for use out of a corporate strategy that aims at raising usability and overall quality. So I wonder whether there are
limits for software vendors in cooperating with competitors to mutualize UI content?

This point and others would be cleared in the preliminary stage that you drafted above but that I don’t feel in a position to carry out, at least
not now as I’m focusing on our national data in CLDR and on keyboard layouts and standards.

Anyhow, Thank you for letting us know.

Best regards,

Marcel