Re: UCD in XML or in CSV? (is: UCD in YAML)

From: Doug Ewell via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 09:58:22 -0700

Marcel Schneider wrote:

> BTW what I conjectured about the role of line breaks is true for CSV
> too, and any file downloaded from UCD on a semicolon separator basis
> becomes unusable when displayed straight in the built-in text editor
> of Windows, given Unicode uses Unix EOL.

It's been well known for decades that Windows Notepad doesn't display
LF-terminated text files correctly. The solution is to use almost any
other editor. Notepad++ is free and a great alternative, but there are
plenty of others (no editor wars, please).

The RFC Editor site explains why it provides PDF versions of every RFC,
nearly all of which are plain text:

"The primary version of every RFC is encoded as an ASCII text file,
which was once the lingua franca of the computer world. However, users
of Microsoft Windows often have difficulty displaying vanilla ASCII text
files with the correct pagination."

which similarly assumes that "users of Microsoft Windows" have only
Notepad at their disposal.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org